In the past, regarding the communication infrastructure, the data/ voice network was made up of a mixture of communication lines and equipment.
It was composed mainly from analogue telephone lines for operational voice applications and leased lines, analogue telephone lines and modems for data applications. The previous network was heterogeneous and difficult to manage.
The previous network was heterogeneous and difficult to manage. It involved high operating costs and included many links with very low traffic load. Also, some of the communication protocols used by software applications of ROMATSA were no longer supported by telecommunication service providers.
Technical and Marketing Director at Datanet Systems
- Because of insufficient capacity and security level of the system, ROMATSA decided to launch the project of modernization of the telecommunication network.
- New communication system has been purchased and implemented following a public acquisition where the successful proposal was based on Cisco equipment.
- Datanet Systems proposed considerable upgrade of the existing communication infrastructure, which consisted of design of the solution, implementation of the project and post-implementation technical assistance.
Increase of availability
Reduction of the operating costs related to the communication services and systems
Increase of the efficiency of using communications services
Reduction of exposure of the system lifetime to influences generated by old technologies
Voice and data transportation system interface with the new large area communication technologies (IP).
The services provided by Datanet Systems specialists make a difference through professionalism from every aspect. The expertise level is excellent, the response to our requirements has always been prompt and efficient
All changes had to be applied to a functional operational system, without the possibility to interrupt any voice service for more than 4 seconds, or RADAR service for more than 3 minutes.
The most important challenges of the project came from the high availability and safety requirements imposed by the specificity of the ROMATSA activity. Datanet Systems had to guarantee the high level of availability of the system and also the maximum level of security of transmitted data when migrating the services to the new communication technologies.
Implementation of the Quality of Service (QoS) policy was also part of the solution. Datanet Systems proposed to implement QoS due to:
- aggregation of data from various applications on a single communication infrastructure
- need to distinct various priorities to the traffic generated by different applications
Quality of Service techniques solve the critical issue of prioritizing “critical” applications over “delay-tolerant” applications.
- A significant increase of the availability of its communication system
- The extension of the new communication system lifespan – the new system enables, through its reliability, modularity and flexibility, the provision of new applications and services for at least 8 to 10 years
- The increased stability of the system – in case of any failure or cheduled technical intervention the total time of interruption of the communication with a network node does not exceed 2 seconds
- A high traffic capacity – the performance of the data network in terms of processing packets have increased by 2 orders of magnitude
- Cisco Catalyst 7600 for the core layer, completely redundant, high performance platform
- Cisco Catalyst 7600 Security: firewall and IDS/IPS equipment for the protection of the core network
- Cisco ISR 3800 / 3900, multiservice platform and Catalyst Switches (layer 3 and layer 2) for the access layer
- Network management solution based on in-house developed application combined with CISCO LMS and ZOOM International Call Recording
- Cisco Unified CallManager and Cisco IP phones for voice communications
At the same time, ROMATSA ensures a seamless management and development of the control activities of aircrafts that belong to users or operators, promotes harmonization and integration into the European specialized system (EUROCONTROL). Together with the Ministry of National Defense, ensures the coordinated usage of the Romanian airspace by the civil and military aviation.
Technology provider Datanet Systems
Datanet is one of the most important providers of communication technologies for a large number of banking and financial companies and telecom operators, establishing partnerships with Cisco, EMC, CryptoCard, Sun Microsystems, HP, Tandberg. At the same time, Datanet is one of the most important Cisco partners in Romania, having the statute of Cisco Gold Partner since 2004 and several Cisco professional certifications for its specialists.